Spring clean your car
Have you neglected your car over the winter? Due to the damp and miserable weather over the winter months, it’s common to neglect your car.
But now it’s springtime and the weather is starting to brighten up a bit, so it’s the perfect time to spruce up your car! Not only can neglecting your car’s health compromise your safety but it can also cost you more on repairs and maintenance in the long term.
Now is the time when you should wash your car properly and give it a thorough check over to ensure you enjoy safe, reliable motoring through the warmer months.
Here’s our top 10 spring clean tips for your car:
1. Wash your car thoroughly - paying particular attention to the wheel arches, behind or beneath the bumpers and the sills below the doors. Better still, if you don't fancy doing it yourself, treat your car to a spring clean at a Car Wash. It may cost you a few pounds but the time saved is well worth it!
2. Check inside the engine bay and remove any soggy leaves.
3. If you’re doing the cleaning yourself, remember to clean the wheels using a specialist cleaning product. (You can do a better job if you remove each wheel in turn, but only if you know how to do it safely - see your owner's manual!). Also check the overall condition of the tyres for wear and tear and tread depth.
4. Now, vacuum the interior thoroughly - including inside the luggage space. Remove rubber mats and scrub them clean; use a suitable cleaner on upholstery and carpets.
5. Polish the paintwork - one panel at a time, so you can keep track of what you've done.
6. Check for chips and scratches in the paintwork and touch these up.
7. Clean all glass thoroughly - inside and out - as well as headlamps and other lights, plus door mirrors.
8. Check the condition of the wiper blades, which will have been used a lot in the winter. Don't forget the rear wiper. It’s cheap and easy to replace them, so if they are looking a bit worn it’s best to change over now.
9. Inspect the exhaust system for corrosion.
10. Finally, lightly lubricate all hinges and door locks and apply a little petroleum jelly to the battery terminals.
Remember, regular servicing and maintenance of your car can maintain its resale value, save you money and make it safer to drive.
Are you past spring cleaning your car and looking for a totally new one? With thousands of new and used cars available, local to you, you’ll find the perfect car by browsing our selection on site.